I've read self help books, gone to lectures, watched inspiring videos & movies, listened to inspiring music... and where am I.
Not much further than when I started.

Is this the fault of what I've been reading, watching or listening or is it the fault of me?

I currently believe no self help advice or inspirational message is bad, it wholly relies on what works for you.

This is me figuring out what works for me... hopefully helping others along the way.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tim Ferriss - The Four Hour Work Week

I found Tim Ferriss' "The Four Hour Work Week" by chance when looking for advice books on starting my own business. It was amazing I even saw it as being only 160cm, the chances of me seeing a book on a top shelf are not normally high. I see it as one of those things that was meant to be.

At the time I was trying to figure out how to start my own business as I was heading up to my 2nd warning at work and knew I would end up getting let go.



I have a high achieving daughter and a moderately autistic son... both needing attention in their own way, my son being the most obvious with problems arising at school. After a full day at work, dance/gymnastics pick up, dinner, homework, handling my son who has regular meltdowns etc at night, I'm extremely stressed and have trouble sleeping. This leads to being constantly tired at work as well as distracted by worrying how things are going for my son at school. No wonder I can't work to the best of my abilities (not that I was ever a wonder kid in the office to begin with, just your average admin gal).

Sometimes you just have to admit to the fact that you aren't in the right position for you. My personal circumstances aren't changing, so that meant the job had to go.

As you can see in the video below Tim recommends to unplug & reset. While according to 'The Four Hour Work Week' you do not have to leave your job to do this... luckily (and scarily) for me it is at least one area where I can work from scratch. With the way things are normally, no way would I have been able to implement any ideas as I just had no energy... something I am now getting back now I can see the end of the road!

It is amazing how much of an effect looking into the future and seeing the same exhausting day occurring for years to come can have on you! I was exhausted not only from my day, but from the bleakness of the future I was facing.

Now here I am, 4 days after giving my notice and 4 weeks away from finishing up at my job forever! Think I'm just about ready for that 4 hour work week...


No comments:

Post a Comment