I've read self help books, gone to lectures, watched inspiring videos & movies, listened to inspiring music... and where am I.
Not much further than when I started.

Is this the fault of what I've been reading, watching or listening or is it the fault of me?

I currently believe no self help advice or inspirational message is bad, it wholly relies on what works for you.

This is me figuring out what works for me... hopefully helping others along the way.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Told you it was tough going.... Carnegie

I did just so well this morning only to crash and burn this evening!!! Although I still ran late because my daughter still dawdled, I got into work refreshed and unstressed as I was calm in my dealings with her rather than criticising and yelling. It didn't actually change the result but it definitely did help our relationship.


Then I screwed it all up tonight! Everything was fine until she gave me attitude. I was so invested in a fun idea I had for her that I was hurt when she wouldn't give it the time of day and angry that I was getting rudeness when I was trying to do something nice. We did turn things around later and I told her we are going to both now use nicer words to each other. She did tell me that she was so tired from all of her extra curricular activities, and homework, which most likely does cause quite a bit of her attitude. Unfortunately this is something she has to power through as they are all her choice and put her in good stead for entry into the secondary school she wants (which has a strong emphasis on the arts).

What I need to do is understand when she is most likely to react this way due to tiredness and not do fun silly things that she would otherwise actually like if she had more energy.

I did meet her half way and apologised for not making something clear to her, she hadn't reacted well to something I offered, mainly because she didn't understand fully what it was I was offering. While doing this though I did state that I was willing to meet her half way in some things and try to see things from her point of view, but that we both have to be doing this. My daughter does still need the comfort of knowing that I am a mum first and foremost who is the boss, before being a friend.

Ok so I guess tomorrow is no criticism day take 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment