I've read self help books, gone to lectures, watched inspiring videos & movies, listened to inspiring music... and where am I.
Not much further than when I started.

Is this the fault of what I've been reading, watching or listening or is it the fault of me?

I currently believe no self help advice or inspirational message is bad, it wholly relies on what works for you.

This is me figuring out what works for me... hopefully helping others along the way.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Listening to Self help books in the car...

As you can see from the long gap between posts, I am still very much a work in progress however I have come across recently an idea that is really helping me.

I have found it very hard to get through many self help books. While they are interested, I generally start to lose interest or just get physically tired when reading. Some I even have real trouble understanding exactly what is being said. So I decided to see what I could do about it.

Using a recording app on my iphone, I have recorded myself reading a book out loud... I have been able to do this even while tired as reading aloud doesn't allow for falling asleep, and I don't have to worry if I'm not fully understanding something because I know I will be listening to it later. For the moment I have been listening to the recordings in the car, but I intend on listening to them when going on walks also.

Having it there, easily accessible to just turn on and listen also helps me not forget what I read in the book in earlier chapters, which can sometimes happen. It's a lot easier to do this than think about starting all over again reading chapters you can't remember or didn't learn from the first time.

You can of course buy the audio recordings if there are professional ones out there, however this won't always be the case, and I find by doing it for myself doubles the chance of the message really staying with you.

Definitely something I recommend you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment