I've read self help books, gone to lectures, watched inspiring videos & movies, listened to inspiring music... and where am I.
Not much further than when I started.

Is this the fault of what I've been reading, watching or listening or is it the fault of me?

I currently believe no self help advice or inspirational message is bad, it wholly relies on what works for you.

This is me figuring out what works for me... hopefully helping others along the way.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Oops, I did it again!!

I've been reading and listening to Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... by Richard Carlson lately, I will go more in to the things I've learnt from him so far at a later date.. however it is hard work putting one thing in to practice. He talks about holding back from talking about yourself, ask questions... Learn to even leave a conversation from time to time having only spoken to the other person about their life.

Remembered it when talking to a friend today, but as this is a particularly sympathetic friend who always praises how well I deal with the hand I have been dealt and that my aggravation at a certain situation & person is completely justified. This is wonderful and I really cherish her friendship, however it means she is so good at being there for me that I slip into talking about myself and run out of time to talk about her. All the while talking to her I had a voice in my head saying "stop talking about myself", show interest in her life, but it just didn't translate to my mouth!

At least my head did remember... just have to work to get the brain & mouth connected. One person in the household with no filter is enough I think... although my son is amusing with it.

His autism does not allow for him to realise or understand that things he says could hurt people's feelings, he just says things how they see them. Latest example... in one day he told the lady at the chemist that she had a pointy nose, a lady going into the chemist she had a moustache, and his babysitter that she had a really wrinkly face! I of course reprimand him so he knows I disagree with it, even though it doesn't really work as it doesn't compute for next time, but it makes the other person feel better, especially when my son goes on repeat mode and can't stop saying it!

Embarrasing when it happens, but kind of amusing when looking back at it (I think I can safely say this as he has often said things to me such as.. "you've got a big bum", "wow, you've got big thighs"! I choose to look at it with humour. It's definitely not the worst part of autism we experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment