I've read self help books, gone to lectures, watched inspiring videos & movies, listened to inspiring music... and where am I.
Not much further than when I started.

Is this the fault of what I've been reading, watching or listening or is it the fault of me?

I currently believe no self help advice or inspirational message is bad, it wholly relies on what works for you.

This is me figuring out what works for me... hopefully helping others along the way.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Open yourself up to life... and it will give back to you

I had such a lovely weekend this weekend. It started off in a way that could have imploded the whole weekend... I slept in to the time I was actually supposed to leave for my parent's place. Unfortunately yesterday one of my headaches decided to come along. However I didn't let this ruin my weekend. I didn't rush, I still made sure to complete the things that needed to be done before I left. Before I did leave I called my mum to let her know I wasn't quite up to scratch and asked if she could apologise and explain on my behalf to my step dad. He is getting on in years and can be quite grumpy if you don't show proper respect.

I quite often put off visiting because I often feel like I'm not doing anything right. I try to help out with cleaning up etc, but if I haven't done it fast enough there can be grumpy words, and reminders from my mum of things I need to do once at home.

Amazingly, I was told not to do a thing this weekend, mum actually walked me over to the couch and told me to rest. My step father was lovely the whole time, and my mum told me numerous times that she is proud of how hard I am working to improve my home right now with my decluttering. There were a couple of times of gentle reminders of what else to do to fix things at home, however I tried to remember she was just trying to help. The first time I explained that I did know these things and I really just need positive reinforcement right now. The next time, I listened and said thank you and that was that.

As "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" suggests, when discussing a current political issue and my step father disagreed strongly, I left it at that. There was no time to ask why his view was as such, but I let him 'win' the discussion even though it is something I feel quite strongly about. I would never change his mind, and he wouldn't thank me for pushing. All I would have been left with would have been a grumpy step dad and a grumpy me.

I enjoyed a lovely walk along the beach with mum, a lovely roast lamb (my step dad's speciality) - and I got the shank... yum yum yum, and I had a lot of fun out on the balcony watching the Australia Day fireworks.

All in all it was lovely and relaxing and I felt a lot of love. Doing my best to put everything I'm learning from 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff' and Louise Hay into practice is opening my heart and my life to possibilities and to life giving back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment